Clifton Suspension Bridge
The world famous Clifton Suspension Bridge was the far-fetched dream of wine merchant William Vick.
Hailed as ‘the ornament of Bristol and the Wonder of the age’ when construction began in 1831, it was designed by 23 year old Isambard Kingdom Brunel and took over 30 years to complete, opening in 1864 as a memorial dedicated to the engineer.
Now celebrating its 150th anniversary, the Bridge is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week and can be crossed on foot or by bike free of charge. The brand new Visitor Centre in Leigh Woods is open from 10am to 5pm daily, with free tours at 3pm every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday from Easter to October. Groups may book private tours at any time for a small fee and a programme of events runs throughout the year for families and adult learners.
The bridge is illuminated each evening, lighting up half an hour before sunset. Photographers may like to visit the viewpoints on Sion Hill or at the Cumberland Basin.
To find out more, visit www.cliftonbridge.org.uk, phone 0117 974 4664 or follow the bridge on Twitter or Facebook as @brunelsbridge.
The Clifton Suspension Bridge Visitor Centre tells the story of the bridge and the people who worked on it. The Centre is located in Leigh Woods and is open from 10am – 5pm daily. Entry is free of charge.
Free tours of the bridge take place at 3pm every Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday between Easter and October. Look out for a guide in an orange high-vis jacket waiting at the Clifton Tower. Tours for schools and groups can be booked at any time for a fee of £3.50 per head.